Grand Western Canal
The Grand Western Canal now a leisure attraction, ran between Taunton in Somerset and Tiverton in Devon in the United Kingdom. The canal had its origins in various plans, going back to 1796, to link the Bristol Channel and the English Channel by a canal, bypassing Lands End. An additional purpose of the canal was the supply of limestone and coal to lime kilns along with the removal of the resulting quicklime, which was used as a fertiliser and for building houses. This intended canal-link was never completed as planned, as the coming of the railways removed the need for its existence.
The terminus at Tiverton. A series of old limekilns built into the superstructure survive underneath the elevated canal terminus
A bank of limekilns at Waytown, Holcombe Rogus
The canal at Sampford Peverell where it cuts right through the village. The house in front of the church is the old vicarage
Grand Western Canal at Halberton, Seen from Manley Bridge, looking towards Tiverton.
End of navigation on the Grand Western Canal at Lowdwells Lock